Massage therapy has been around for thousands of years. It consists of a variety of gliding, kneading and cross-fiber friction strokes to work the muscle tissue, releasing tension and improving circulation. Many people consider massage therapy to be just about pampering, but massage can help you maintain physical, mental and emotional well-being. You receive the greatest benefit when massage therapy is part of your regular wellness routine.
Some benefits of massage are:
- A calming of the nervous system that promotes relaxation and well-being.
- The reduction of tension and anxiety.
- Improved blood circulation, which delivers oxygen and nutrients to the cells.
- Stimulation of the lymphatic system, which carries away the body’s waste products.
- Prevention and relief of muscle cramps and spasms.
- Help with pain management in conditions such as arthritis, sciatica, muscle spasms.
Massage is not a good idea if you have a fever, infections, inflammation, osteoporosis and other medical conditions.